Due to an increasing number of requests for repeat prescriptions to be issued urgently / on the same day we have had to review how we handle these requests in order to provide a clinically safe and consistent service to all of our patients.
We require 2 full working days for prescriptions. If you ask for an urgent repeat prescription you will need to give a reason for your request. Many medications can be safely missed for a few days.
We will not issue urgent prescriptions for items that can be bought over the counter or for non- essential medication and you may be informed that your medication will be processed following the normal repeat prescription process.
However, If your medication cannot be missed, the item will be issued as required.
The following are medications that will not be issued urgently:
- Anything that can be purchased over the counter eg paracetamol, emollients, ibuprofen, low dose co-codamol
- Nutritional supplements/ vitamins/ iron
- Sleeping tablets
- Erectile dysfunction drugs
- Skin creams
- Eye drops
- Preventer asthma inhalers (excluding Salbutamol/Ventolin)
- Oral medications for diabetes
- Prescriptions following discharge from hospital and outpatient clinics
We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciate that you may find this frustrating. This step has been implemented as a necessity to protect doctors time for more clinically urgent matters.